White Slant Background
United Van Logo
Contact us today!
toll free 844-668-3721
Background Shadow
Shadow Bottom


Answers to Some of Our Most Common Questions

Have a question about your upcoming move? You’re not alone. Below are some of the questions we are asked most often. If you still have questions or concerns, feel free to contact us, and one of our experienced representatives will gladly help you.

Can you assist in the development of a corporate relocation policy?

Yes. Having a relocation policy in place is a key factor in ensuring a smooth move for all of your employees and for you as the program administrator. Utilizing the knowledge gained through years of servicing our corporate clients, we can assist you in building a policy that is custom-suited to the unique needs of your company.

Can I move jewelry and other valuables?

Items of extraordinary value such as jewelry, money, photographs, antiques and stamp collections can be included in your shipment, provided you notify your United agent of these items before packing or moving day. However, we strongly recommend that you carry irreplaceable and expensive articles with you or make other arrangements for their transport. <br /><br /> In the moving industry, items worth more than $100 per pound are considered to be articles of extraordinary value. To be assured that a claim involving these articles is not limited to minimal liability, complete and sign the High-Value Inventory form and sign the “Extraordinary (Unusual) Value Article Declaration” box on the Bill of Lading. If no articles of extraordinary value are included in your shipment, simply write “none” on the High-Value Inventory form and sign it.

Do my appliances need special attention?

Most refrigerators, washers, dryers, and other electrical or mechanical appliances require special servicing to ensure safe transportation. Any moving parts, such as motors on major appliances, washer drums, and icemakers, should be securely fastened for shipment. Gas appliances need to be serviced and disconnected prior to your move. <br /><br /> It is the owner’s responsibility to see that appliances are serviced for shipment before they are loaded on the van. Upon request and for an additional charge, a moving company will perform this service, using either its own qualified personnel or an authorized service company.

Can I move my frozen foods?

Frozen foods can be moved but only under specific, limited conditions. Be sure to discuss this with your United agent. In most instances, we suggest that shipping arrangements be made through local frozen food locker plants, especially for a long-distance move. It is even easier just to use up the foods prior to the move or donate them to someone.

Can I move my house plants?

Mayflower cannot accept responsibility for safely moving your plants, because they may suffer from a lack of water and light as well as probable temperature changes while in the van. You may prefer to transport your house plants in the family car or ship them by plane. <br /><br /> Some states prohibit the entry of all plants, while other states will admit plants under certain conditions; still others have no plant regulations. Be sure to check the regulations of the state to which you’re moving.

Can I move my pet?

Pets cannot be carried on the moving van. Dogs, cats, birds and other small pets can usually be transported in the family car. If this isn’t convenient, your United agent will be glad to suggest alternate ways to ship your pets safely.

Do I need an estimate?

A United agent will make a pre-move survey of your household goods to be transported. A pre-move survey is needed to determine the approximate cost of a move and the amount of van space your goods will occupy. Your United agent will compute the approximate cost and give you a written Estimate/Order for Service. An accurate estimate cannot be calculated without a visual survey of the goods to be moved. There is no charge for the estimate. <br /><br /> Keep in mind that estimates (household goods surveys) are only guidelines. On interstate shipments, you must pay the total charges as determined by the actual weight of your shipment, the distance it travels, and the services that you authorize or which become necessary to handle your shipment. <br /><br /> Charges for local shipments are generally calculated on an hourly basis. There may be a minimum number of hours required. These shipments are handled by the local moving company, not the interstate carrier.

Can I pack my china, glass, and crystal?

Most people prefer to have their household possessions, especially fragile items, professionally packed by a moving company. However, if you decide to pack these items yourself, remember that the basic principles of good packing include wrapping the items individually, providing plenty of cushioning, and making sure of a firm pack. <br /><br /> Be sure to select a sturdy container with a lid. Place a two- or three-inch layer of crushed paper on the bottom of the carton as a cushion. Wrap each item individually with a soft material to provide a safe, protective, “padded nest.” Pack the heaviest items on the bottom and the lighter ones next, filling in empty spaces with crushed paper. Place plates on edge and glassware on rims for maximum protection. Mark the carton “Fragile,” and list the contents on the outside. Be sure to seal the carton with tape. <br /><br /> Cartons, paper, and tape may be purchased from your local United agent for a small fee.

Can I pack my clothes in a chest or dresser drawers?

Lightweight clothing – sweaters, shirts, blouses, and lingerie – may be left in the drawers. Do not fill drawers with heavy items such as books, table linens, or sheets, which can damage the piece of furniture during transit. Be careful NOT to leave fragile items, money, jewelry, watches, or other valuables in the drawers, as well as anything that might spill or leak.

Can my possessions be stored temporarily?

If you are unable to take immediate possession of your new residence, your belongings can be stored in a local United agent’s warehouse. United agents throughout the world provide safe storage facilities for holding your goods until you’re ready for them. However, you are responsible for the storage charges, warehouse valuation coverage, and final delivery charges from the warehouse. <br /><br /> If your goods are placed in storage, there will be an additional charge for the valuation or insurance coverage provided for your shipment, as mentioned previously. The type of coverage and cost will depend upon whether the shipment is held in storage-in-transit (temporary) or in permanent (long-term) storage. Please ask your United agent for information regarding storage arrangements

Can I track my employees’ shipments?

Yes, you can. With our shipment tracking, you have the ability to check-in on any of your employees’ shipments to see exactly where they are at any time. Additionally, we provide your employee access with their last name and order number so he or she can also track their personal shipment.

Do you have a program for employees moving with a lump sum?

Yes. We have a variety of solutions that can be customized to a menu of services for your employees moving with a lump sum. Some of these options include: extending the terms of your transportation agreement to employees moving with a lump sum, assistance marketing an existing home or finding a new one through the CityPointe® program, destination information to help educate your employee about his or her new city, container solution options, etc. We encourage you to discuss the options available to offer your organization a customized lump sum program with your local United representative.

Request a free quote