Residential Moving Process
Your United Van Line Movers
There are quite a few things that go into having a successful move. Getting things in order ahead of time can alleviate your stress.
With so many things to take care of before your move, here’s a quick four-week guide to begin your countdown.
4 Weeks Before
- Create a “moving” notebook to keep everything together and make sure you have a budget in place.
- Notify your realtor or landlord.
- Find a moving company and schedule your move date. If you are getting professional packers and movers, arrange a date for them to come assess what needs to be done and arrange dates for packing and moving.
- Go through your belongings and furniture to decide what goes and what stays.
- Obtain your packing supplies.
3 Weeks Before
- Begin the packing process, labeling each box by room.
- Decide whether you need a storage facility. Secure a unit if you do.
- Turn in change of address cards; notify all pertinent companies (credit cards, insurance, banking institutions).
- Notify or change subscriptions.
- Do a change of address with the IRS.
2 Weeks Before
- Arrange for disconnect and connection of utilities at both locations. Leave forwarding address for deposits.
- Get all records (school, medical).
- Continue packing.
- Confirm everything.
- Make repairs if needed.
1 Week Before
- horoughly clean everything.
- Schedule a pick-up for donations or drop off unneeded things.
- Solidify everything with the realtor, if you are selling or leasing your home.
- Pack a “go to” box that will have everything you need for a couple of days, so you don’t have to unpack right away to get your necessities.
You may realize in the midst of everything that you can’t do it all by yourself. This is when you need to solicit the help of a professional moving company to help. This can be especially helpful if you have large furniture or a number of valuables that need crating or professional attention. Nilson Van & Storage can help you with all your packing, storage, and relocation needs to ensure you have a smooth move. Contact us today!